- About WVSC
- Our Services
- Photocopying, Typing & Designing
- Receive Our Mailing
- Resource area
- Room hire
- We Can Frank Your Mail
- Starting a New Group
- Firm Foundations The VCS Good Practice Toolkit
- Contact us
Promotion and Marketing
5 Promotion and Marketing
This section of the Toolkit will enable you to gain an understanding of the principles of promotion and marketing, and how to effectively market your own organisation. The focus of marketing within this section will be relevant to VCO’s, not just commercial enterprises. Key learning points for this section include:
- Developing an understanding of the key elements involved in marketing
- Developing an understanding of the different marketing and promotional techniques available
- Learning how to develop a marketing strategy and marketing plan
1) Please note that the term “product” is used in this section as a catchall term to refer to any activity, goods or service that is delivered by a VCO.
2) Please note that the term “sale” is used in this section as a catchall term to refer to the uptake of a service.
3) Please note that the term “customer” is used in this section as a catchall term to refer to service users, commissioners or funders.
5.2 What is Promotion and Marketing?
It is worth noting that VCOs are driven by the desire to improve the lives of particular target groups of people rather than making a profit. In light of this, VCOs do not always see that promotion and marketing is important to them. However, VCOs are being encouraged to become more efficient due to the lack of available funding therefore it is important for VCOs to spend sufficient time and resources on how they can market their services effectively. Promotion and marketing is about much more than just advertising; it is about identifying your users’ needs, getting your product right to satisfy those needs, making sure your users know about it; and doing all of this within the resources available to you. Promotion and marketing is not just for commercial organisations, VCOs also need to do it to ensure what they do is effective.